Monday, April 23, 2007

My frist blog woo hoo!!

Firstly, this is my first blog. My sister told me a week ago about starting my own blog. I had no idea what to write. After viewing my sister's blog, I noticed that she is obsessed with cupcakes, cakes, cookies, and high calorie foods (yes! she looks bigger and bigger every time I see her.) And then voila! a blog about fruits, Thai grown fruits. In Thailand, fruits are abundant, and cheap.

Let's start with one of the most expensive, Japaneses melon or muskmelon. Though we called it Japanese melon, but it's organically grown in Thailand. This's the one you may find it in Japan, but lots cheaper here in Thailand. I bought it from a supermarket. I told you, it's expensive, so you will not find it in local markets.

OK, here's the price. It's 87 Baht/Kilogram (1.12 $/Lbs.) This one is roughly around 110 Baht (3.14USD.) Why it's so expensive? Because it's organically and hydroponically grown. Hey!! don't raise your eyebrow, I live in a country where a lunch is around 2$ and a can of coca-cola is around 42 cents. So this is EXPENSIVE!!

Melon is healthy, even though it has somewhat high calories from it sweetness. I heard somewhere that melon has as high sugar as sugarcane. However, it has high vitamin A, C, folate, and potassium which are good for your skin and unary system.

I bought it on Saturday, and put it in the fritz. Expecting a sweet, refreshing snack during Sunday afternoon where the temperature probably reach 41 degree Celsius (105.8 F.) WTF, why don't Americans use metrics system like the rest of the world so I won't have to convert between kilogram and pound, celsius and fahrenheit!!

After halved it, you'll see lots of seeds. The sweetness is around its seeds, you have to scrape them by spoon, but not too much. Slice it to thin slices.

It's now ready to eat!!!!!! 5 minutes later................................

burp!!! I wrapped the other halve for evening hehe.... The left over and equipments used to murder this melon.

Next episode, Longkong (ลองกอง: what is it in English? someone help me!) Typically grown in southern Thailand, Malaya peninsula, Indonesia and the Philippines. Sweet, sour and slimyyyy...............

5 comments:

sucheela said...

what do you mean? I got bigger and bigger? I got old!!! what do you want from me!!!!!???

Anyway - I'm obsessed with cupcakes and cookies doesn't mean that I'm unhealthy!!! I exercise too!!!

Goddammit.

Qbertplaya said...

bigger and bigger?

they're called MUSCLES!

Unknown said...

is that a honeydew melon? :) sucheela says it looks like honeydew.

boomboom said...

It's not honeydew melon. It's Japanese Melon or Japanese Netted Melon. It's in Mekuwa Group Cucumis Melo. Honeydew is in Inodorus Group. And honeydew doesn't have netted surface.

Aimee said...

Mangosteen next! So cheap! So delish! (I was in Thailand in early June, I think, once, and ate mangosteen everyday for three weeks. I've only seen it available maybe once in the states in nyc Chinatown for like a week.)